09 October 2012

cinematic style: ian curtis in "control"








I wanted to watch Control because of it being Anton Corbijn's directorial debut and because I wanted to begin a love for Joy Division. Control depicts the rise and fall of the band's front man Ian Curtis so beautifully. I cried multiple times, which, honestly, isn't a surprise because I cry during films quite often. Besides being emotionally sucked into the (short, short) life of Ian Curtis in the film, I found time to take a gander at his wardrobe. Sam Riley, who played Ian, can really wear a trench. No wonder Christopher Bailey of Burberry snagged him early on. I'm not sure if Ian wore a trench 24/7 like shown in the film, but it really suits the attitude. I've always found trenches sad, but in a good way. They're long and large and drapey. They're in dull colors: grey, black, tan. You are almost completely covered up when wearing one. There's just something very sullen about a trench coat. And there was something very sullen about Ian Curtis.

I love the basics worn throughout: a simple grey or navy blue (presumably) button down cotton shirt, black trousers, probably some kind of pointed Chelsea boot. Sometimes there would be a plain black jacket with a popped collar, no hood. I like that simplicity. Ian/Sam is wearing the clothes, they aren't wearing him. And besides, you don't want flashy clothing to take away from those eyes. For being a band that pretty much shaped modern music today, the wardrobe of Joy Division members were very clean cut. They went against the norm not only in their music (the beginning of indie and new wave and the last of the punk era) but in their clothing choices as well. The way to pull that off is to not care. I know those boys didn't look twice at what they were wearing.

Oh and this jacket and this scene can't go without mentioning.