20 March 2012

spring resolutions


Today is the first day of spring and I'm normally not one to enjoy this season. My allergies are beyond terrible and I live out in the country where there's nothing but the things that irritate my sinuses. But there's something about a warm breeze, an open window, fresh new airy clothing and sunshine that appeals to me right now. I've been telling myself to have a spring makeover since this winter was kind of a mess for me. I'm looking forward to getting some vitamin D on my skin and recovering from the past year. There's a mental list of things to try to get accomplished during this spring and things to carry one through the end of the year and beyond. It's like this March is the January I never had: making resolutions and starting over.

I started with taking inspiration from Metronomy's music video for The Bay. I love the colors: deep greens and filling aquas with white contrast whilst laying on a boardwalk. These things remind me of a trip to Maui about four years ago and I would love to go back for my Spring Break which is in three days. But that's not happening this year. I'll just have to play this video over and over again instead. Here is a list of things I want to achieve/accomplish this season:

1. Plant: After getting a puppy Chia pet for Christmas and watching the little green leaves grow on him, I've really been wanting to grow inside greenery.

2. Read more: Of course, it's almost always on everyone's resolutions list. I've got a massive reading list here and I'd like to work on it.

3. Exercise: It seems to have really made a different in me since really starting in August of last year. Maybe not in appearance, to me anyway, but I've felt somewhat happier.

4. Open the windows more: Just remember to take your allergy medicine.

5. Focus on spring dressing: Chinos, trench coat, pastel colors on top, no black, flowy hair and maybe with the warm weather we're having now, I'll be able to wear sandals right away.

6. Burn more candles: They lift the vibe in the room. I want springy scents, of course. I'm feeling Sun and Sand from Yankee and Pineapple Mango from Bath and Body Works.

7. Find some sort of online job: I don't drive and there's no such thing as a taxi or city bus or any kind of public transporation out where I live so it's impossible to find a job. I've resorted to looking for publications that I can write for from home. Paid or unpaid.

Spring 2012 playlist: The English Riviera