12 July 2016

Giverny, France - Monet's Home









































What I really liked about Monet's home was how simple it was. It's essentially a rectangle that runs parallel to the rive behind it and the roads on opposite sides. But it has the perfect sized rooms - three bedrooms, a massive dining room (Monet loved hosting dinner parties and being surrounded by friends despite living so far from Paris), a hearty kitchen and a beautiful parlor filled with (mock up) paintings. And the colors! A canary yellow dining room, a Robin's egg blue kitchen with copper pots and pans, touches of muted purples and pinks all accented with turn-of-the-century, dark wood furniture. I got the same feeling I did driving through the French villages and strolling through Monet's gardens as I did wandering through his home: ease, tranquility, and simplicity. It felt calming being in such a small but sustainable home. It had all the essentials and it was oh so quaint. I could live here, I thought. And not to mention the crisp mid-morning breeze that greeted me as I entered each room. Maybe it was Claude himself saying hello.