02 June 2015

Cinematic Style: Julia Stiles in '10 Things I Hate About You'
















Likes: Thai food, feminist pros and angry girl music of the Indie Rock persuasion.

I have always found Julia Stiles' portrayal of Katarina Stratford to be the most relatable character I've come across in my life. She's angsty, goes against the current, reads Sylvia Plath, thinks prom is stupid (but went anyway), likes "Thai food, feminist pros and angry girl music of the Indie Rock persuasion" and I mean, c'mon, look at that room. I had the same theme going on when I was in high school. When I first saw 10 Things I Hate About You, I thought her "bitchy" attitude, masculine meets feminine wardrobe and attraction to Heath Ledger was groundbreaking. I was (and still am) the same way.

What's fantastic about her wardrobe is that it's not as repelling as her attitude. It's actually very approachable and quite feminine despite her masculine aura. First of all, that hair. How on earth do I get a head of hair as thick and has luscious as Julie Stiles' circa 1999?! She wears it in soft waves, girlish braids and that color is the perfect honey blonde. Second of all, the fact that she manages to stay trendy wearing platform sandals, maxi skirts and spaghetti straps also contradicts her stand-out-from-the-crowd persona. Also, she's the only person I've ever seen make the three former garments mentioned actually look cool. But she also wears some interesting pieces like the vintage looking blouse in the last pictures (she wears this giving the most beautiful poem, ever). She also makes smoking slippers and 50s style cardigans look slightly grunge/punk rock if that's even possible. Her wardrobe is a collection of a lot of different pieces but they're all light weight, neutral, and most of all, fit her comfortably. An important concept especially in the late 90s.