30 March 2015

Cinematic Style: Kim Basinger in '9 1/2 Weeks'












Kim Basinger in 9 1/2 Weeks makes me not so irritated by the late 80s, all-of-the-90s resurgence that has been happening for the past year or so. I want everything in minimal colors, minimal silhouettes, oversized and comfy. All preferably vintage or Calvin Klein. Or both. She makes me not dislike my slightly frizzy, naturally curly blonde bob and she makes me want to never take my eyeliner off. Ever.

I write this as I sit by my open bedroom window, 40 degree breezes rolling through and the grey skies matching my grey sweatshirt. I imagine I'm wearing some sort of number a la the eighth picture. As cliche as this sounds - and as much as I don't want to type it - her wardrobe in this film is perfect for spring. White t-shirt for when it does get warm? Check. Sweaters, light and heavy? Check. Tweedy blazers left over from winter? Check. Also, she's giving every woman (and man for that matter) a run for their money with her ability to wear a slouchy white blouse.

The appeal here, however, is the attitude she has wearing said clothing. I've realized that's the missing, key ingredient to wearing simple and minimal clothes. You have to have that spark, that look, that appeal, that sensuality. And, damn it, Kim's got it. With someone with such a bod like Miss Basinger's, you have to wear the clothes and not let the clothes wear you. Because essentially she's just wearing a collection of old boyfriend's clothes, hats included.