18 April 2012

cinematic style: the rear window

After seeing one of my favorite bloggers Hannah of Capture The Castle follow in the footsteps of Stevie from Discotheque Confusion, I cannot help myself but to add to the pack of "Cinematic Style". As with a certain café or a lone wooded area, clothing in films help to establish a feeling or an emotion. Instead of the environment giving off the vibe for the scenes, the clothes give off a look for the character and help to create a personality to a person whom you do not know. With the help of the glorious website Clothes on Film, I'm now able to search almost any film I desire and gush over favorite looks.







After seeing Alfred Hitchcock's The Rear Window over my spring break, I really fell in love with Grace Kelly. I was in the midst of prom dress shopping so when I saw her first gown, I knew I had to get something like it. A fitted top with a beautiful upside-down fountain of fabric and tulle with strappy sandals. Grace makes it look so innocent and fun and twirly. A part of me loves that bright and happy feeling you get when putting on a very Dior-looking dress like so. Throughout the film, Ms Kelly kept the popular cinched waist that makes her look very collected and put together. Her character Lisa works in fashion and loves reading Harper's Bazaar. The black little dress in the second photo makes her look like a fashion girl: very clean cut but still fun yet professional as she is, after all, a lady. I've become obsessed with Lisa's halter blouse after she took off her mint green matching jacket. I remember when she pulled the sleeves off, I threw my head back because of the cut and fit of that cream top. Her pearls laying gently over the tightly pulled crossed neckline shows off her beautiful arms and collarbone. At the very end of the film, we see Lisa wearing something not a lot of women seemed to wear during the 1950s and 1960s: jeans. So casually put together she wears cuffed denim with brown leather loafers. I couldn't find a picture of her top but she wore a white crew neck with a pink menswear blouse over. Her lying so daintily reading Harper's was the perfect way to end the journey of Lisa's style throughout The Rear Window.